What to Do If You’ve Been Injured
Ohio accident attorneys explain
If you have been hurt in a personal injury accident in Ohio, knowing what to do afterwards can be overwhelming. Friends and family might tell you to do one thing. Insurance companies might give completely different advice.
That’s why it’s important to be able to talk to someone you can trust who knows the law and understands all the legal options available to you. That’s why you need Merriman Legal, LLC, on your side.
Located in Cleveland and serving injury victims throughout the state, our Ohio personal injury attorneys can walk you through exactly what to do after your accident. Each case is unique. That’s why the guide below is meant to merely be a starting point for what to do after your injury. For more detailed advice, contact us and schedule your free case evaluation today.
Step by step guide
- Seek immediate medical attention – Your health is your priority. Even if you feel fine, you should have a doctor or another medical professional examine you right away. Go to an emergency room if necessary. You could have a life-threatening internal injury.
- Call the police – Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you might need to get the police involved to investigate your accident. Situations where police should investigate include car accidents, physical assault, rape, vicious dog attacks and more.
- Take photographs of your accident – Pictures can be powerful pieces of evidence. Take photographs of anything related to your accident, including unmarked obstacles, loose hand railings and unmarked hazardous materials.
- Talk to witnesses – If someone saw your accident, get their full name, address and phone number. Witness statements can be critical in convincing insurance companies to fairly compensate you for your injuries.
- Write down details – While your accident is fresh in your mind, write down as much information as you can remember. Every detail matters, from the time of day to weather conditions, comments made by bystanders and more.
- Contact us – Our law firm can help you every step of the way with your personal injury case. From filling out official forms to dealing directly with insurance companies on your behalf, we’re here for you when you need us most.
- Contact insurance company – Call your insurance company and tell them you sustained a serious, personal injury. But keep your comments to a minimum. Your insurance company might be the one responsible for compensating you. And anything you say could jeopardize your case.
- Don’t answer questions – This is especially true if you receive a call from an insurance company representing the person or company responsible for your injury. Anything you say could be used to deny your claim. Refer their questions to us. We know how to deal with insurance companies.
- Avoid social media – Don’t post details about your injury on social media. Insurance companies often carefully review such comments for anything they can use to reduce or deny your insurance claim.