What To Do After a Motorcycle Crash
Injured? Get a Cleveland motorcycle accident lawyer to fight for you
Our Cleveland motorcycle accident lawyers offer seven helpful tips that every rider should know in the event of a motorcycle crash, because getting injured while you’re out riding can not only leave you seriously injured ─ it can leave you completely unsure of what to do next.
Have you been injured in a motorcycle crash? If so, you have rights, and Merriman Legal, LLC can protect them. You may be entitled to financial compensation. See what our team can do for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Top 7 steps to take after a motorcycle accident:
- Stay calm and get out of the road: This is probably easier said than done, but when you get into a motorcycle accident it can be helpful to remain calm. Check to see if you or any passengers have any noticeable injuries, and then get out of the road as quickly and safely as possible. If you’re able to, move your motorcycle out of the road, but only if it’s completely safe to do so.
- Call the police: Motorcycle accidents can include multiple vehicles and often get complicated in a hurry. After you’ve gotten yourself out of the road and checked to make sure no one is in immediate danger, call 911 and let them know you’ve been in an accident. Tell them your location, and let them know if anyone appears to need an ambulance. Once police arrive, be sure to ask how them how to obtain a copy of the official accident report. This will be a useful piece of evidence should you decide to pursue a claim.
- Seek medical treatment: Sometimes symptoms from injuries sustained in motorcycle crashes take days or weeks to appear. This is why after your accident it’s critical to see a medical provider as soon as possible. Whether you get checked out by an EMT, emergency room doctors, or another physician, it’s important to document your visits, injuries, and treatment plan. These will all be critical components to your claim.
- Exchange information: Always make sure to get the full name, license number, registration, and contact information of every driver involved in the crash. You can provide this information to others involved in the collision as well, but be sure not to say or do anything else that could jeopardize your claim. Sometimes people unintentionally sabotage themselves by saying something to the other driver that can be used against them down the road. Don’t say things like “I’m sorry” or “I didn’t see you,” even if you’re just trying to be polite. Definitely don’t engage in any hostile conversations with other drivers either, as arguing about the crash at the accident scene is unnecessary and a waste of everyone’s time.
- Collect evidence: If possible, take pictures of the accident scene, damage to your motorcycle, damage to other vehicles involved, traffic signs, tire marks, road hazards, and anything else that could be relevant to your crash. If you’re not able to take pictures, write down all the facts about the crash, including the time, location, and weather. Once you’ve done that, check to see if anyone witnessed the crash. Pedestrians and other motorists may be willing to give you a statement, and witness testimony is typically a powerful piece of evidence. If you do get a witness to give you a statement, be sure to take down their name and contact information.
- Call your insurance company: Let them know that you were in a motorcycle accident, but don’t give them any statements about the crash and don’t go into too much detail. Even if you’re speaking with an insurance adjuster from your own insurance company, admitting fault ─ either intentionally or unintentionally ─ can severely hinder your ability to win a claim. If anyone else calls you about the crash, refer them to our law firm. As your attorney, we can handle those communications.
- Retain a motorcycle accident lawyer: Our Cleveland motorcycle accident attorneys take pride in getting positive outcomes for injured riders because we respect and appreciate Cleveland’s motorcycle community. A lot of riders get a bad reputation as erratic thrill-seekers, but our lawyers know that the majority of motorcyclists are just regular, everyday people who enjoy the freedom of riding. As your attorney, we will leave no stone unturned when it comes to getting you compensation that’s fair.
Let our motorcycle accident attorneys get to work on your case
Trying to sort things out on your own after being injured in a motorcycle crash can quickly become a hassle. Playing phone tag with insurance adjusters, trying to figure out how to pay mounting medical expenses, making appointments with doctors ─ it all can feel extremely overwhelming. And when you’re injured, that stress is only multiplied.
You don’t have to go through this alone. You don’t need to do it all by yourself. Our Cleveland motorcycle accident lawyers know what it takes to win a personal injury claim, and we have the case results to prove it. When you’re injured, don’t settle for anything less than what you deserve. Let our law firm get you maximum compensation. Make my team your team. Contact us today for a free consultation.