Motorcycle Safety Tips
Our attorneys offer helpful advice
Riding a motorcycle can be one of the most enjoyable activities on the road. However, staying safe on a motorcycle can be a challenge. That’s because there are so many reckless drivers on the road, causing motorcycle accidents that result in serious injuries.
That’s why riders need to be alert at all times. And it’s important to take certain steps to protect yourself and avoid an accident. That’s why our experienced Ohio motorcycle accident attorneys at Merriman Legal, LLC, of Cleveland put together this guide.
Our lawyers have dealt firsthand with many serious motorcycle crashes throughout Ohio. We know why accidents happen. We understand the risks riders face every day. That’s why we wanted to share this advice with you and other riders.
How to stay safe
There are many things motorcyclists can do to try to avoid a serious accident caused by another driver. Some of these safety tips include:
- Wear protective gear while riding. This can include a leather jacket and pants to protect your skin from abrasion burns.
- Consider wearing a helmet. While adults over 18 are not required to wear a helmet in Ohio, we strongly recommend doing so for your safety.
- Make sure your motorcycle is in proper working order before you ride. This includes inspecting your tires, your brakes and other mechanical parts.
- Make sure your taillights, headlights, turn signals and reflectors are working so you’re clearly visible to other vehicles.
- Carefully look both ways before entering the flow of traffic.
- Drive appropriate for the weather. If it’s raining or icy outside, slow down or even consider taking a brake until hazardous weather conditions pass.
- Drive defensively. That means you should try to anticipate what other drivers might do.
- Leave extra distance between yourself and other vehicles.
- Try to make eye contact with other drivers when changing lanes. Make sure other drivers can see you.
But even if you take steps to protect your safety, motorcycle accidents often occur. And when they do, we’re here for you. We’ll do whatever it takes to protect your rights. That’s why we’re eager to meet with you if you’ve been injured in a serious motorcycle crash. Simply contact us and schedule your free case evaluation right now. Make my team your team.