So what does this mean for drivers in Ohio? And what can motorists do to avoid a collision caused by another driver? Our Cleveland car accident attorneys at Merriman Legal address these questions below.
Over 1 in 9 Ohio drivers have caused a car accident
The recent Insurify study focused on the number of drivers in each state who have previously caused a car accident based on applications for car insurance in 2022. In Ohio, 11.4 percent of drivers who applied for insurance stated that they had an at-fault accident on their record. That means statistically, one in nine drivers you see on our roads has caused an accident.
Based on that figure – which was higher than the national average of 8.8 percent – Ohio was ranked third in the country for the states with the most at-fault drivers.
The Insurify study also included information about the number of car accidents per mile and per capita for each state. In Ohio, there are 1.19 car accident fatalities for every 100 million miles driven. And each year, 1 out of 9,615 people in Ohio die in a car accident.
What are common causes of at-fault accidents in Ohio?
Car accidents usually occur because one driver did something they should not have been doing on the road. Common causes of at-fault car accidents in Ohio include:
- Drunk driving, which took the lives of 531 people in Ohio in 2021, the highest drunk driving accident death toll in the state in at least a decade, according to accident data collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Speeding, which was the main contributing factor in 409 car accident fatalities in Ohio in 2021, the most in a single year in at least a decade, according to the Ohio Department of Public Safety.
- Distracted driving, which was responsible for 41 deaths on average each year in Ohio between 2017 and 2021, according to the Ohio Department of Public Safety. However, it should be noted that many traffic safety experts believe distracted driving is underreported.
How to prevent an at-fault car accident
The Ohio Department of Public Safety and other traffic safety experts have many safe driving tips designed to reduce the number of collisions, including:
- Drive the posted speed limit, especially in congested areas with traffic.
- Put your phone down, and don’t text while driving.
- Don’t drink and drive. If you have too much to drink, have a designated driver or call a cab or rideshare service.
- Share the road with others, including motorcyclists and non-motorized users such as pedestrians and cyclists.
- Don’t follow other vehicles too closely. Leave yourself enough room to slow down and avoid a rear-end accident.
Why should I hire a Cleveland car accident attorney?
If another driver caused your car accident in Cleveland or another community in Ohio, you might think you don’t need a lawyer to handle your injury settlement or legal case. Unfortunately, many car accidents often quickly turn into fierce legal battles. That’s why it’s critical that you have an experienced Cleveland car accident lawyer on your side, looking out for your best interests.
Our legal team at Merriman Legal can help you every step of the way. We know what evidence to look for to build a strong case. We also know how to deal with insurance companies, negotiate the best possible settlement offer, or file a lawsuit if necessary.